Looking for a way to advance your career? Don’t underestimate the value of professional designations. For producers, the knowledge gained from the credentialing process can convert to more (and bigger) sales. Additionally, professional designations may exempt you from Continuing Education requirements, and even prelicensing course requirements, for certain examinations.
For producers and compliance professionals alike, professional designations also show your commitment to your insurance career. Furthermore, they can open doors to a new job or promotion to a leadership role with your current agency. Your company may even be willing to pick up some or all of the costs!
Here are my favorite sources (in no particular order):
- The Institutes (formerly Insurance Institute of America and American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters) – Offerings include: CPCU, AINS, AIC, ARM, AU and AAI.
- National Alliance for Insurance Education and Research – Offerings include: CISR, CIC, CRM, CPRM and CSRM.
- The National Underwriter Company – Offerings include: CLCS, SSPS, GBDS, PLCS and SBCS.
- The American College of Financial Services – Offerings include: WMCP, RICP, FSCP, CFP, CLU, ChFC, CAP and CLF.
- International Risk Management Institute (IRMI) – Offerings include: TRIP, ERIS, CRIS, MLIS and AFIS.
- Securities & Insurance Licensing Association (SILA) – Offerings include: SILA Foundation Certification, SILA Associate and SILA Fellow.
- Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS) – Offerings include: RF, CRM, ARM, CPCU, ARM-E, AU, AIM, AIT and AIAF.
- Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, Inc. (Big I) – Offerings include the ACSR.