LANSING, MI |The Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) announced that its call center continues regular operations and remains prepared to assist Michigan consumers with their insurance and financial services concerns, especially those individuals impacted by coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
“DIFS’ Office of Consumer Services is working remotely and stands ready to help Michiganders in need of assistance, especially with issues related to their health insurance and other coverages and financial services,” said Anita Fox, Director of DIFS. “At a time when consumers may be concerned about the impact of COVID-19 on their lives, DIFS is here to help.”
The call center consists of representatives that can assist with insurance, banking, credit union, mortgage, and other consumer financial concerns. The Office of Consumer Services also has analysts available to review complaints against insurance or financial service entities. DIFS encourages consumers to first attempt to resolve disputes directly with their insurance and/or financial service provider. If a resolution cannot be reached, the DIFS Office of Consumer Services can help try to resolve your dispute. The live call center can be reached by calling toll-free at 877-999-6442, and is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
“Michigan consumers will not see a change in the way they obtain help from DIFS as we work remotely,” added Fox. “DIFS live call center team will continue to answer phones and address their needs.”
DIFS stands ready to assist with:
- Questions about health insurance coverage for COVID-19 treatment or testing.
- Concerns about access to telemedicine.
- Questions about the servicing of loans or mortgages.
- Questions about banks or credit unions and the availability of financial services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Insurance agent or consumer finance licensing questions.
- Questions about insurance policies, grace periods, and premium payment extensions in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Appealing an adverse decision regarding a health care claim under the Patient’s Right to Independent Review Act (PRIRA).
For more information visit: www.michigan.gov/difs, call toll free at 877-999-6442 or email DIFSComplaints@michigan.gov.
Information around this outbreak is changing rapidly. The latest information is available at Michigan.gov/Coronavirus and CDC.gov/Coronavirus.