NV | There are less than two months left of Nevada’s Tax Amnesty program! The Tax Amnesty program began on February 1, 2021. Business entities that have unpaid tax debt can file/pay their taxes online or download the missing tax returns that are available on the Department’s website https://tax.nv.gov/.
The base tax in a specific period must be paid in full during the amnesty filing dates of February 1, 2021 through May 1, 2021 in order for amnesty to apply. The amnesty program allows penalty and interest to be waived provided the outstanding tax debt meets the following criteria:
- The tax was due and payable on or before 6/30/2020, which includes monthly tax returns due on May 31, 2020 or before, and quarterly tax returns due April 30, 2020 or before.
- The delinquent tax amount was paid in full for the period. If a taxpayer has several delinquent returns, but is only able to pay one or more periods, the penalty and interest may be waived for each period providing the tax was paid in full and;
- The delinquent tax is paid during the upcoming amnesty period. See below for details.
The types of taxes included in the amnesty program are as follows: Sales and Use Tax, Modified Business Tax, Cigarette Tax, Other Tobacco Products Tax, Liquor Tax, Bank Branch Excise Tax, Insurance Premium Tax, Tire Tax, Live Entertainment Tax (non-gaming), Short Term Lessor (Passenger Car), Exhibition Facilities Fees, Commerce Tax, Transportation Connection Tax, Wholesale Marijuana Excise Tax, Retail Marijuana Excise Tax, Property Tax that are Centrally Assessed, and Net Proceeds of Mineral Tax. Taxes that are not included in the amnesty program include: Lodging Tax, Real Property Transfer Tax and Property that is locally Assessed.
The Amnesty program does not apply to businesses or individuals who have:
- Entered into a compromise or settlement agreement with the Department of Taxation or Nevada Tax Commission regarding the unpaid tax or assessment
- Are currently under audit and have not received a final deficiency determination prior to the last day of the amnesty period
- A business or individual who pays the delinquent tax during the amnesty program may be selected for an audit in the same manner as a person who does not pay delinquent taxes during the amnesty program