In the March 6, 2020 Bulletin, the Superintendent of Insurance asks that health insurance providers and health care providers take proactive steps to prepare for the spread of any COVID-19 cases.
Health insurers are asked to take the following steps:
- Provide information on COVID-19 that follows the guidance issued by the New Mexico Department of Health cv.nmhealth.org and the CDC cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019 websites on the virus.
- Advise network providers of public healthcare recommendations and protocols.
- Ensure your systems and those of those in your network can process billing using the COVID-19 billing codes (CMS).
- Ensure that the company’s preparedness and continuing operation plans are current and shared with staff, network partners and producers.
- Ensure those who may be in a COVID-19 waiting period of self-isolation can obtain a one-time refill of their covered prescription medications prior to the expiration of the normal refill waiting period.
- Get familiar with and respond affirmatively to the March 5 statement of the Board of Directors of America’s Health Insurance Plans (“AHIP”) on COVID-19 (AHIP Statement).
Should the insured have continuing concerns they can contact our Managed Healthcare Bureau by clicking here MHCB.